Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Evan Horn – Enjoying School Like I Do - Student Voice

Student Voice:


Evan Horn – Enjoying School Like I Do

There is nothing sweeter than waking up at 7:30 AM on a sunny Saturday morning in September to tailgate with the entire city of Madison, Wisconsin for an 11:00 AM football game. The streets are a sea of red and white football jerseys and face paint, flooded by the distinct smell of brats and loud cheers of its patrons. On game day, no matter where you go or whom you see, they are not only your friend but also your comrade in battle, ready to defend the University of Wisconsin’s honor and reputation, hand in hand with the standing army beside you in the stands and the eleven guardians on the field.
Okay, football games may not be taken that seriously. Game days are easily the most fun day of the week, an excuse to dress up in crazy outfits and party during the day. The many football game traditions, from the super-slow wave to the Fifth Quarter to the iconic Jump Around, unify our student body in ways words can’t describe. I obviously can’t speak for other schools, but living in Madison is surreal. Whether a professor or student, a city police officer or townie, if you live in Madison, you are a Badger.
To become a Badger, I had to first overcome the college application process. The whole ordeal forced me to think about who I am, what my goals are in life, and whether or not I wanted to spend the next four years of my