Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, December 10, 2012

Daily Kos: Today is International Human Rights Day

Daily Kos: Today is International Human Rights Day:


Today is International Human Rights Day

because on this date in 1948, at the Palais de Chaillot in Paris, the UN General Assembly adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.  The history is well covered in this Wikipedia article, so I will not recapitulate it.  This page at the UN website provides the text and other information, including the history and the drafters.  As Americans, it is worth our remembering that the chair of the committee that did the drafting was Eleanor Roosevelt.
As today is a school day, I do not have time to offer as thorough a post on the subject as it warrants.  I am even with my very much at risk 7th graders probably going to take a few minutes to explore the document in class, so I thought I might take just a little time to remind us all of a few of its 30 articles.
For example,
Article 1.All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and