Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Stories of Impact « Cooperative Catalyst

Stories of Impact « Cooperative Catalyst:


Stories of Impact

I am a teacher. I love teaching and learning with kids, and I have a way of relating to kids that is unique, meaningful and worthwhile. I do things very differently from many other teachers and that sets me apart. (Sometimes that’s a good thing and sometimes that’s NOT a good thing.) I’ve always been blessed, though, in having people in central office who recognized my differences and who supported my vanguard ways and my deep soul-searching to be ever better–and who have served as critical friends, asking questions, probing, validating and sometimes chiding along the way.
My classroom is not about MY power–it’s about empowering the kids to make wise choices and choose to learn at deep levels. However, something someone wo has known me for over 20 years recently said to me has really had me thinking, and not necessarily in a good way–she said, “The few like you are still the few like you.” Why? Why is that?  Why do I still, 39 years after I was a beginning teacher, STILL stand out as remarkable in some way?
I’ve always said that I was going back into the classroom before I retired– because there is absolutely nothing that is more powerful than that day to day relationship with a community of kids. Don’t get me wrong–I’ve loved