Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, November 24, 2012

NYC Educator: On Debate

NYC Educator: On Debate:


On Debate

This week I had to delete a number of comments. Some likened this blog to Fox News, and others called me all sorts of names. Others laid out what they thought I should write about, and criticized my choice of topics. Apparently these readers know what belongs here better than I do. Perhaps they should start their own blogs and write about whatever they wish.

Some told me what I think, and were invariably incorrect. I'm not sure what passes for debate elsewhere, but to me that's blatantly ridiculous. You say this, therefore you believe (insert ridiculous assumption here).

First of all, this is indeed an opinion page. It's remarkable that some adults, who have presumably seen newspapers and/ or news shows, seem unable to discern that. I'm not Jim Lehrer reporting the news. If there is, indeed, another side, feel free to offer it. I'm all ears. In fact, if you persuade me I'm wrong I'll admit it. Frankly, though there was at least one issue-oriented comment, no one has come close to doing so this week.

Arguments like you are an idiot, how dare you say that, or why aren't you giving my point of view rather than your