Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, November 24, 2012

How Corporations can help Public Education « Deborah Meier on Education

How Corporations can help Public Education « Deborah Meier on Education:




How Corporations can help Public Education

Before speaking to the Chicago City Club (the movers and shakers), CTU (Chicago Teachers Union) President Karen Lewis was asked: “Instead of corporate meddling, would you prefer that corporations sit on the sidelines and not try to help our schools get better?”
Karen replied with these words:  “I don’t think they should sit on the sidelines. I think they should do what they do when they give money to the Lyric Opera. I don’t believe they go to the Lyric Opera, give money and then go tell the singers how to sing. I don’t believe they do that. So give your money –where’s Andrew Carnegie when you need him?– give your money and walk away, Buddies. Ya know, just leave it alone. When you don’t know something, don’t dilettante your way into it.”
Right on.  It reminded me of a meeting I spoke at maybe 20 years ago with. 


TedTalk by Ben Kestner about Personalizing Education

Great talk from an esteemed colleague.
“I have a theory that we can start moving things forward too by focusing on the message to kids. THEY will start the revolution!”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ifi_fd4n9E
Ben Kestner
www.benkestner.com