Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Shanker Blog » Value-Added, For The Record

Shanker Blog » Value-Added, For The Record:


Value-Added, For The Record

People often ask me for my “bottom line” on using value-added (or other growth model) estimates in teacher evaluations. I’ve written on this topic many times, and while I have in fact given my overall opinion a couple of times, I have avoided expressing it in a strong “yes or no” format. There’s a reason for this, and I thought maybe I would write a short piece and explain myself.
My first reaction to the queries about where I stand on value-added is a shot of appreciation that people are interested in my views, followed quickly by an acute rush of humility and reticence. I know think tank people aren’t supposed to say things like this, but when it comes to sweeping, big picture conclusions about the design of new evaluations, I’m not sure my personal opinion is particularly important.
Frankly, given the importance of how people on the ground respond to these types of policies, as well as, of