Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Jersey Jazzman: The Incoherent World of Arne Duncan, Part I

Jersey Jazzman: The Incoherent World of Arne Duncan, Part I:


The Incoherent World of Arne Duncan, Part I

Today, the Star-Ledger publishes an interview Tom Moran did with US Secretary of Education Arne Duncan. It's an astonishing piece - because the mind of Arne Duncan is an astonishing place, full of self-contradiction, personal faith masquerading as deductive reasoning, and just sheer nonsense.

I think this entire exchange deserves a close look, so I'm planning to divide this up into severe shorter posts. One thing before we get started: given all my previous problems with Moran's work on education, I was pleasantly surprised to find he does a good job asking Duncan questions. Like this one:
Q. The evidence on the effectiveness of the reforms you are pushing seems