Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, July 23, 2012

Aurora and Autism. « Fred Klonsky

Aurora and Autism. « Fred Klonsky:


Aurora and Autism.

This morning I got an email from a colleague of mine at the school I just retired from.
Fred,  
 
I am furious about this!  Incredibly harmful coming from a dad of a child with Asbergers.  I wrote to NBC immediately and said he should be fired finally!  We work so hard to fight people’s misconceptions about people with special needs and then this buffoon states this on his show!  The full quote is incredible….
Some background here: In the three decades that I taught I had many kids with autism in my classrooms. The last fifteen years I, and the colleague who wrote me, taught at a school that had a large number of Special Needs kids, including many with autism.
There is a lot of debate about autism and its causes. But here is what my colleague and I know: Every child with autism, like all of our children, are unique. Great care must be taken before you generalize too much about this