Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, July 23, 2012

Daily Kos: “I call 6,000 rounds of ammunition running low,” he said.

Daily Kos: “I call 6,000 rounds of ammunition running low,” he said.:


“I call 6,000 rounds of ammunition running low,” he said.

That is a line from this New York Times story on the amount of ammunition the Aurora shooter had been able to obtain.
I was a Marine.
While I never saw combat, many of those with whom I served did.
None of them were ever issued anything close to that amount of ammunition, even in a combat situation.
Yes, those operating M-60 Machine guns or their equivalent, whether in infantry or on helicopters, had lots of rounds.  But not 6,000.
The shooter also had a 100-round drum.
What if he had been using that?
What if his rifle had not jammed?
How many might have died?
He had a Bushmaster AR-15.  It fires a .223 round, something drilled into my memory since firing military AR-15s and M-16s in the Marines.
The DC snipers used a Bushmaster XR15, firing .223 rounds.
If I may quote from Pete Seeger's "Where have all the flowers gone" -
When will we ever learn>