Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Provoked | The Jose Vilson

Provoked | The Jose Vilson:


Provoked


Dear disciplinarians and other enforcers within our school communities,
Please note: you’re trying to keep kids in school, not keep them out of it.
Let me first admit my own biases in this topic, of which I have a couple. As a teacher, I readily admit that I can reasonably reach 90% of my given class, given that my classes aren’t considered “magnet” or “gifted and talented” by most academic measures. I tend to get the classes people forget, the ones that have to fend for themselves in the swarm of adult confusion, the ones that no one human being can nurture at one time. The other 10% simply fall through the cracks for reasons I haven’t comprehended yet. I always blame myself, but it