Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

NYC Educator: Where Do Troubled Kids Go in the Summer?

NYC Educator: Where Do Troubled Kids Go in the Summer?:


Where Do Troubled Kids Go in the Summer?

As the school year starts to wind down, I'm getting worried about what will become of one of my students who's struggled with depression.  Because of the sensitive nature of this subject, I hesitate to say anything much about him, except that he seems isolated from his family and his (former) friends, and so I'm concerned about him being on his own for most of the summer.

There are summer programs for kids who need academic help, and jobs programs for kids who need money or resume building.  But I wish there was something for this middle-of-the-road student--or, rather, something he could be legally compelled to attend, since his lack of motivation probably will prevent him from getting out of bed to play basketball or