Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

IEA’s pension talking points. Who decided this? « Fred Klonsky

IEA’s pension talking points. Who decided this? « Fred Klonsky:


IEA’s pension talking points. Who decided this?

“My pal calls me up this afternoon as I’m driving home.
“A buddy from up north sent me this email,” he says. “It’s from a UD (an IEA staff person) up in IEA Region 60.”
That’s like Libertyville.
“It’s got these talking points and the first says, ‘Teachers and other public employees have offered to accept change what would save the state billions, including increasing our contributions to the pension systems. We’re willing to pay more to make sure the systems remain solvent, but there must be shared sacrifice.’”
“That’s bullshit,” I say. “I’ve been on the IEA website. That’s not the IEA talking points. The IEA talking points are