Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, April 9, 2012

Mike Klonsky's SmallTalk Blog: USC prez lets loose with reformy cliches. Not much else.

Mike Klonsky's SmallTalk Blog: USC prez lets loose with reformy cliches. Not much else.:


USC prez lets loose with reformy cliches. Not much else.


Looking through the April 4th issue of EdWeek, I found this back page commentary piece, "Reaching Beyond the Ivory Tower Into the Classroom" co-written by C.L. Max Nikias, the president of USC and USC prof William Tierney. I guess the very idea of the head of one of the world's most expensive and least accessible universities telling public schools what they need, kind of pissed me off. So I forced myself to read it all the way through.

Why it took two such highly-esteemed academics to rehash this corporate reform drivel is beyond me. They start out reminding us once again of the failures of our so-called "dropout factories." Don't they have to pay Arne Ducan a buck or two for using this patented, degrading cliche? Talk about the Ivory Tower! What an encouraging