Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Mother Crusader: The Tangled Web Behind Regis Academy's Approval

Mother Crusader: The Tangled Web Behind Regis Academy's Approval:


The Tangled Web Behind Regis Academy's Approval

I posted about the world of trouble Amir Khan is in, and the story hit the Philadelphia Inquirer and the Courier Post too.  My blogging buddy Jersey Jazzman wrote about the situation as well, and asked some pointed questions about how the NJDOE missed the fact that Amir Khan seemed to need the charter to pay his bills.

So how did this happen?  How did Regis Academy get approval to open a charter school when it seems that their foundation is so unstable?

Allow me to digress for a moment and I may be able to provide a bit more clarity on this.

When I was working to oppose the Tikun Olam Hebrew Language Charter High School, I came across theNAACP's National Policy on charters.  It was so on point that it made me weepy:

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the NAACP rejects the emphasis on charter schools as the vanguard approach for the education of children, instead of focusing attention, funding, and policy advocacy on improving existing, low performing