Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Connecticut’s Governor Malloy: My Plan to Reform Teacher Tenure

Governor Malloy: Dannel P. Malloy: My Plan to Reform Teacher Tenure:


Dannel P. Malloy: My Plan to Reform Teacher Tenure
 
Journal Inquirer, op ed
 
By Dannel P. Malloy
 
March 21, 2012 
 
 
This winter, I laid out my vision to revitalize Connecticut’s public schools. With our students’ overall performance stagnant and our achievement gap the widest in the nation, I called for reforms potent enough to change the trajectory of education in our state.
 
In the weeks since, parents, educators, businesspeople, legislators, and even students have engaged in a spirited conversation. I’ve been encouraged to see that we’re close to consensus on our shared goals: to make Connecticut a national model for closing the achievement gap and creating academic excellence for all.
 
As we move forward and continue the discussion, let’s remember our shared objectives. And let’s remember there is no single solution when it comes to improving the education of Connecticut’s schoolchildren.
 
That’s why I’ve put on the table a comprehensive set of proposals — to expand early childhood education,