Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, February 3, 2012

Support PURE! » My coffee with an SFC creep

Parents United for Responsible Education » Blog Archive » My coffee with an SFC creep:

My coffee with an SFC creep

Yesterday I had coffee (well, more on that later) with a top organizer for Chicago’s astroturf branch of Stand for Children. He had asked to meet in response to my blog about SFC’s recent telephone blitz in Chicago’s West and South sides (using an Oregon phone number, by the way). My post questioned the stated purpose of the calls, which they claimed were to “listen to and help parents.”

I wasn’t sure what his agenda would be. Maybe he would try to spread some rich SFC public relations fertilizer. Maybe he was on a fishing expedition to see if he could get me to talk about our anti-corporate reform strategies.

I was pretty sure, though, that he would start out with an attempt at the classic organizer “one-on-one” in which