Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, February 3, 2012

Katie Osgood: The Reform My Students Need - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher

Katie Osgood: The Reform My Students Need - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher:

Katie Osgood: The Reform My Students Need

Guest post by Katie Osgood.

I have a pretty unique job. I work as a teacher on a child/adolescent inpatient unit at a psychiatric hospital in Chicago. My students come from all over Chicagoland and attend all types of schools: neighborhood, charter, turnaround, private, suburban, alternative, and sometimes no school at all. The vast majority of my students, however, come from low-income minority neighborhoods. My job allows me a rare birds-eye view of the educational landscape here in Chicago.

And I do not like what I see.

My students are often very sick. The reasons they find themselves hospitalized vary, but usually it involves some type of crisis, either a threat of harm to themselves or others. They are in my classroom, on average, for only about a week or two. Some kids are filled with anger about being bounced around to yet another foster placement. Some are depressed because they don't feel wanted or cared for at home. Some are sad because