Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, February 11, 2012

A Parent Questions State Test Scores | United Opt Out National

A Parent Questions State Test Scores | United Opt Out National:

A PARENT QUESTIONS STATE TEST SCORES



A quick preface to this letter – the Parental Rights Bill in Colorado was voted down at the committee hearing this past week, but parents in Colorado opt out every year AND have the right to do so.

The Denver Post reports: According to statewide data from the Colorado Department of Education, 4,981 students had no scores in 2011. That number included 1,427 reported parental refusals, 1,482 who simply did not take the test, 594 who withdrew from the test before completing it, and 90 who showed up but became too frustrated to take the test.

Now please read a guest post from Sylvia P. Martínez, a parent.

February 7, 2012

Re: HB – 12 – 1049 – Parental Rights Bill

To Whom It May Concern:

I write to legislators to ask that you support and pass HB – 12 – 1049 – Parental Rights Bill.

Were it not for my full-time job and prior commitments within it, I would have been present to testify on February 9, 2012 in support of the bill.

As I cannot attend, I will share my family’s story with you in writing. I take comfort in knowing you will take the time to read this letter and that you will take it into