Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

An Urban Teacher's Education: Teach for America: Here We Go Again

An Urban Teacher's Education: Teach for America: Here We Go Again:

Teach for America: Here We Go Again

It's been so long since I last complained about Teach For America, I apparently just couldn't go another day without. Now is a particularly conflicting time for me as some of the first students I taught are being accepted into Teach For America. In the last weeks, I've gotten more than a few Facebook messages from former students either telling me of their acceptance or asking my opinion.

I have no idea how to react. There's a part of me that wants to go on a tirade, wants to tell them everything I think about TFA. And there's another part of me that is so proud of their commitment to education, because I don't think I have any former students who are using TFA to get into law school or work in congress.

It's just so frustrating to listen to those new to the profession preach about their commitment to education equity