Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I speak English too | Being Latino Online Magazine

I speak English too | Being Latino Online Magazine:

I speak English too

by Luna Garcia

Everyone in the wonderful Latino spectrum is reminded in different ways of the fact that they’re Latino. Though these reminders come in different forms to everyone, they seem to come to some of us very often. In my case it happens almost daily because of my beautiful, thick accent.

After eight long years in New York City I can read and write in English just as well as in Spanish, my vocabulary is pretty broad, I can hold educated conversations or just joke around in Brooklyn-ish with my cousins. My accent, on the other hand, just seems to get thicker. My experience has been similar to our writer Adriana Villavicencio’s mom in that people start treating me differently as soon as they hear me speak.

Some people in this country assume that having an accent is an indicator that you’re a hard-working-low-wage-job immigrant, who is also less educated and less truthful than the rest of the population. This