Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Views on Technology in U.S. and UK: Larry Cuban | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

Views on Technology in U.S. and UK: Larry Cuban | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice:


Views on Technology in U.S. and UK: Larry Cuban

I met Bob Harrison through my blog. He is a former  teacher in the UK and is now a technology consultant. He visited me a few months ago and I agreed to be interviewed. The complete interview transcript appeared on hiswebsite. Note that some of the words use UK spelling.
It is ten years since you published [Oversold and Underused]. Have your views about the use of technology for teaching and learning changed?
LC: Over the past decade, I have met with teachers, administrators, state policymakers, and district board members across the nation, all of whom were eager to talk about their experiences in using computers for instruction. Many had read Oversold and Underused; others had heard about the book and the research that I had reported. Many wanted me to answer their questions, tell me where I had erred, and raise issues that I had neglected to cover in the book.
In responding to the questions, I made clear that my views about the centrality of the teacher – the gatekeeper to