Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, October 7, 2011

What Happened to My Grade Book?: The Audacity of Learning Theory: A New #Edreform Model

What Happened to My Grade Book?: The Audacity of Learning Theory: A New #Edreform Model:

The Audacity of Learning Theory: A New #Edreform Model

Sometimes it helps just to talk with another person on a topic of interest to synthesize it better. Today, while at the gym, I was visiting with a friend (who is also an educator and stay-at-home mother) about standards-based reform effort. We were talking about how reform efforts are leading our country down the wrong roads. I went on to tell her about my recent questioning of standards as a valid reform effort. I explained how I believe it went wrong simply because the effort was created and implemented from the top down by governors. These governors I'm sure have many constructs in law and politics from their studies and experiences. Many probably do hold an MBA or relate well to business-minded thinking. But, the people who were not at the table having this conversation were teachers and learning theorists.


And yet these standards-based reform efforts, born of MBA-style thinkers, continue today. The big money