Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

School Tech Connect: This Town Is Awesome

School Tech Connect: This Town Is Awesome:

This Town Is Awesome

Just wanted to point out that I'm out in the leafy confines of Crystal Lake, Illinois, waiting in the fantastic public library that sits directly across the street from the public elementary school, which also has a library. I feel like I'm in some kind of literary-technical Xanadu, with all of these books and computers at my beck and call. There are all kinds of kids here, participating in the time-honored ritual of self-directed learning.

In my neighborhood in the city, there is a deluged branch library that on any given day serves more people than live in this town. It's understocked and understaffed (although, I believe the librarians there are truly heroic) and it's jam-packed with the children of people who are struggling to learn the language. These kids go to schools