Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Jersey Jazzman: Is Brian Williams "Reformy"?

Jersey Jazzman: Is Brian Williams "Reformy"?:

Is Brian Williams "Reformy"?

So, I'm looking at the list of honorees at the "Worst Party Ever,"and one names stands out: Brian Williams. Yes, that Brian Williams, America's Most Trusted Newsman ©.

The "Worst Party Ever" is being hosted by the Center For Education Reform. CER is pro-charter, anti-grass roots, anti-union, and anti-local control. They regularly critique the media, looking for pro-reformy reporting and criticizing anything that may possibly give voice to a push back of their agenda.

In other words: this is not a neutral education research group, nor an uncontroversial service organization. These

Some Actual Jazz Blogging

How did I ever miss this piece of film?

Popout

A true genius. I've been playing and writing for years, and it never occurred to me that "seeing" the notes on the piano made such a difference. Maybe because it's the only instrument I play (I mean play well - although I have been in need of some serious shedding since I started the teaching gig...).

I think I've seen the performances after, but never the interview. Just great.

A VERY Rare Disagreement

Look, you guys know I love Matt DiCarlo. I mean, I LOVE the guy. He and Bruce Baker are the two safe ports in a storm of reformy pseudo-research; I'd be lost without both. And I'm really flattered Matt added me to his blogroll, which I only noticed today.

So it pains me to take great exception to this post:
I’m always uncomfortable with personal accusations in our education debate, and they come from both “sides.” For instance, I don’t like hearing accusations that market-based reformers are “profiteers.” The implication is that these people seek to dismantle or otherwise alter the public education system for their own economic advantage.