Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Rumors (and denials) of a rogue charter school opening next week - The Education Report - Katy Murphy's blog on Oakland schools

Rumors (and denials) of a rogue charter school opening next week - The Education Report - Katy Murphy's blog on Oakland schools:

Rumors (and denials) of a rogue charter school opening next week

By Katy Murphy
Tuesday, October 25th, 2011 at 5:25 pm in charter schools, elementary schools,families.

American Indian Public Charter School

Sometimes when I write about the American Indian Public Charter School I feel like I’ve entered an alternative reality. This is one of those times.

For that reason, I can’t tell you definitively whether an unauthorized elementary charter school will open on American Indian’s downtown campus on Halloween, as rumored — though it’s looking unlikely. I’ll just share the information I’ve collected so far.

Evidence that suggests a school affiliated with American Indian is (or at least was) slated to open two months into the school year:

- I called the receptionist at the school last week, told her I was a news reporter, and asked if American Indian was opening a new elementary school in October, as I had heard. She said, “Yes it is.”

- An OUSD mother who attended a recent informational meeting at American