Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, October 31, 2011

The Educated Reporter: Taking the Bully By the Horns

The Educated Reporter: Taking the Bully By the Horns:

Taking the Bully By the Horns

Some stories are tough to read. But that doesn't make them any less valuable. One example is Rebecca Golden's recent piece on Salon.com, about trying to make peace with her childhood bullies.

Golden's first-person account is effective for the naked honesty and bravery it took to even attempt such a reconciliation, never mind write about it. But where the story rings most true is in her minimal lack of success -- both at getting her past tormentors to talk to her, and her ability to fully let go of her past pain.

I've blogged about my own history as a "mean girl", as well as my experiences being the one who was picked on. If any of the kids I pushed around were to seek me out now, I think I would have enough respect for the