Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, October 31, 2011

Blue Jersey:: A Democrat at the School Board Association Convention

Blue Jersey:: A Democrat at the School Board Association Convention:

A Democrat at the School Board Association Convention

by: newschoolboardmember

Mon Oct 31, 2011 at 09:14:06 AM EDT



promoted by Rosi

So, I'm a school board member. A new one. I got elected by writing myself in when no one would put their name on the ballot. I got some friends to vote for me. Made a couple of phone calls. Knocked on 5 doors. Made sure everyone could spell my last name right (it's long). 30 votes later, here I am.

I am also a Democrat. A life-long Democrat. A real Democrat. Thus, I am a fish out of water on the board. And a real freak at the New Jersey School Board Association's annual workshop last week in Atlantic City. I went for two reasons: One, I needed to attend the "Governance 1" class required for new board members and; Two, Tuesday was devoted to school "reform," and I wanted to see what they were up to.

newschoolboardmember :: A Democrat at the School Board Association Convention
Wednesday's panel entitled "Perspectives on New Jersey Education Reform"