Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Daily Kos: Just so you know

Daily Kos: Just so you know:

Just so you know

and not necessarily to worry, but by this time tomorrow I will be in Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington VA, 2 blocks for my house, for some surgery.

I am having bi-lateral hernia surgery, on an outpatient basis if it goes as planned. It will be two relatively small incisions, done as laparoscopic surgery, with some mess inserted. The surgeon who will perform the operation actually developed this procedure and is quite experienced with it. He will allow me to stay out of work for up to a week, but says it will be up to me if I want to return earlier (I do). It will largely be a matter of pain/discomfort, for which I have a pretty high tolerance under normal circumstances.

He will be starting me on narcotic pain killers, and obviously I cannot drive and probably should not attempt to teach if I am still on them. When I have had root canal, I have been on ibuprofen, and have been able to come off it usually more quickly than most people. So I am hopeful of being back to school by Monday, although I will be