Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, September 22, 2011

An Urban Teacher's Education: Classroom Mangament 101

An Urban Teacher's Education: Classroom Mangament 101:

Classroom Mangament 101

It's about three weeks into our school year, and I'm only just beginning to tread water rather than drown. I am, once again, a new teacher. And while I don't have to relearn a lot of important teaching skills that can act like anvils attached to the ankles of a teacher new to the profession, I do have some big hurdles to clear, which include: developing a discipline system that works with my school, developing a data collection system with the materials I have in my classroom, writing and implementing a curriculum for my world history course and advisory, developing relationships with families and staff members, and tweaking the existing curriculum provided by the district for my language arts course.

As a result of the time I've devoted to my new classroom, I've been away from education policy for a while. In fact, I don't have a clue what's going on in the world of education outside of my school (and the Tacoma teacher's strike). Therefore, I thought I'd blog on - get this - teaching.

This year, I have two freshman language arts classes, one freshman advisory, and one sophomore world history