Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Piloting the Plane on Musical Instruments & using SGPs to Evaluate Teachers « School Finance 101

Piloting the Plane on Musical Instruments & using SGPs to Evaluate Teachers « School Finance 101:

Piloting the Plane on Musical Instruments & using SGPs to Evaluate Teachers

I’ve posted a few blogs recently on the topic of Student Growth Percentile Scores, or SGPs and how many state policymakers have moved to adopt these measures and integrate them into new evaluation systems for teachers. In my first post, I argued that SGPs are simply not designed to make inferences about teacher effectiveness.

The designers of SGP replied to my first post, suggesting that I was conflating the measures with their use by suggesting that these measures can’t and shouldn’t be used to infer teacher effectiveness. And in their response (more below), they explained in greater detail, what was essentially my main point – that SGPs are not designed or intended to infer teacher effectiveness from student achievement growth. They also argued that the