Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

My District Spent $33 Million on Technology and All I Got Are These Lousy Test Scores « The Core Knowledge Blog

My District Spent $33 Million on Technology and All I Got Are These Lousy Test Scores « The Core Knowledge Blog:

My District Spent $33 Million on Technology and All I Got Are These Lousy Test Scores

by Robert Pondiscio
September 7th, 2011

Maybe the medium is not the message.

Voters in the Kyrene school district, which serves students in Tempe, Phoenix and Chandler, Arizona approved spending $33 million on education technology, and are being asked to fork over another $46.5 million in November. The funds have purchased a lot of laptops, interactive whiteboards and software. What it hasn’t bought is higher test scores. The New York Times reports reading and math scores have stagnated in Kyrene since 2005 while rising statewide. “To many education experts, something is not adding up — here and across the country. In a nutshell: schools are spending billions on technology,