Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Shaun Johnson: Are Parents a Privileged Class in Education?

Shaun Johnson: Are Parents a Privileged Class in Education?:

Are Parents a Privileged Class in Education?


The question titling this post comes from a genuine and sincere place. And by "privileged" I mean in this context "an immunity from critique" in the conversation on education.

I've participated in a lot of furious debate on- and offline about education, particularly on testing and the role of public schools. Those like me, for whom education is a profession, constantly extol parental involvement. It is often noted as the crucial factor in student achievement, particularly in high-needs or low-income areas. Overall parental support is essential to preserving and reforming our system of public education in a lot of ways.

But my position on parental involvement feels a little different because I don't have children of my own. So, the connection I have to education is that it's my profession and something I've spent