Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Save Seattle Schools Community Blog: My Public Testimony Tonight at the Seattle Schools Board Meeting

Save Seattle Schools Community Blog: My Public Testimony Tonight at the Seattle Schools Board Meeting:

My Public Testimony Tonight at the Seattle Schools Board Meeting

I sent the Board my remarks in advance which is something I don't normally do. I did it because I felt very strongly about them and wanted to the Board to be pondering these issues in hopes that they will actually speak up about them at the Board meeting.

In brief, they are:
  • despite Dr. Enfield's promises, we still do not know who is paying for TFA. I think she may believe that the donor(s) himself can just pay TFA and remain anonymous. The contract with TFA reflects that SPS is to pay TFA. There is nothing about money passing to TFA from a third-party. This lack of transparency is deeply troubling. It almost feels like any kind of change or program can be bought and installed at SPS if you have the money.
  • The overhaul of Board policies (tonight it's the Series 4000 ones) seems to have some urgency to it