Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, September 26, 2011

“Accent monitors” no longer allowed Arizona classrooms | Being Latino Online Magazine

“Accent monitors” no longer allowed Arizona classrooms | Being Latino Online Magazine:

“Accent monitors” no longer allowed Arizona classrooms

English is my second language and although when I moved to the states as a child I worked to speak English perfectly (and I do) I’m reminded that my perfect English comes with accent when I hear yet again, “You kind of sound like JLo.” I love that I have a slight accent. It’s a tie to my culture and my roots and it has never held me back in any way, at least none that I’m aware of.

That’s not the case for Arizona teachers during the last 10 years. “Accent” monitors were routinely sent “to classrooms across the state to check on teachers’ articulation.” But facing federal civil rights investigations, the state to put a stop to