Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, September 26, 2011

The good principal. « Fred Klonsky's blog

The good principal. « Fred Klonsky's blog:

The good principal.

Michael Winerip at the NY Times addresses the question of what makes a good principal?

His approach is similar to the way I develop lesson plans. I start at the end and work backwards. I have a general idea of where I want to go. I teach and write the plan afterward, reflecting on how I and my students responded.

This works fine for me. But not so fine for defining principal or teacher quality.

Winerip found what he thinks is a good principal and then creates the definition based on what he likes about her.

Winerip’s approach is problematic. She might be a good principal for her school, but those qualities that make