Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, August 27, 2011

solidaridad: EDUCATION AND CAPITALISM: Struggles for Learning and Liberation

solidaridad: EDUCATION AND CAPITALISM: Struggles for Learning and Liberation:

Classroom Rules to School Behaviors

Every year, a large part of my back-to-school routine was establishing classroom rules. We would list every possible rule imaginable on the board that we could come up with and narrow them down to a decent number. I would facilitate the discussion and group work to get the rules stated as positively as possible. It took a little time, but it was worth the effort. Then, everyone in the class would sign it. We established our own little classroom democracy which I could refer back to when necessary.*

I sat in a meeting called before students returned. (I believe it was my sixth year as a teacher.) My principal announced that a new committee had been formed, P.B.S., Positive Behavior Support. I listened as they said they met and established three school behaviors that would be used by everyone: Be respectful, Be responsible,