Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Review of Democratic Education: A Beginning of a Story, by Yaacov Hecht :: IDEA

A Review of Democratic Education: A Beginning of a Story, by Yaacov Hecht :: IDEA

A Review of Democratic Education: A Beginning of a Story, by Yaacov Hecht

by Shawn Strader in Op-Education

Ever since I was a middle aged teenager, I've wanted to work for a social revolution. I've wanted to help create a world where all people can collaborate and pursue their own personal goals, unhindered by oppression from the state, their communities, or any bully for that matter. To this day, I still can't pinpoint what got me passionate about working for a better tomorrow. I suppose if I had to narrow it down to one main influence, I would say it was politically charged Punk Rock music. I listened to a lot of Propagandhi growing up, and still do. That style of Punk Rock often contains lyrics that tell a story about a person or community that was oppressed and how they either won or lost in their battle to defeat the oppression. And as an angsty teenage kid held by the confines of public school, popularity, and my parents, that music with those stories of real life oppression really struck a