Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Boys Town - Teacher in a Strange Land - Education Week Teacher

Boys Town - Teacher in a Strange Land - Education Week Teacher

Boys Town

As a middle school band teacher, I frequently had guest clinicians visit my classroom to work with my adolescent musicians. A college band director who was coaching my students once expressed surprise at the number of boys in my band classes. He noted that most middle school bands were about 2 to 1/girls to boys--but my classes flipped that ratio. He asked what I did to attract so many boys into the band program. Honestly, I had no clue. But that ratio of boys to girls was pretty consistent, year to year.

I relay this information to assure you that I like teaching boys (and evidently, they liked taking my class)--and I like working with male colleagues. I once overheard two moms in the bleachers at a 7th grade basketball game