Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, July 22, 2011

My teacher . . . the computer? « InterACT

My teacher . . . the computer? « InterACT

My teacher . . . the computer?

The last of the folding chairs on the portable stage and across the athletic field were packed and loaded. Orchid petals from leis lay scattered on the grass. The cheers, hugs, and essential celebratory photos were done. The parking lot was nearly empty, as only a few families and faculty members lingered on campus to savor the celebration. Occasional echoes of laughter drifted down the hall as I was about to close my classroom, having survived another graduation ceremony and another school year. S entered, still in his cap and gown, still with that familiar smile on his face. For S, the journey to today’s podium had been circuitous and tough. During his seven years at our school, S endured his mother’s