Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

What would César Chávez think? | Being Latino Online Magazine

What would César Chávez think? | Being Latino Online Magazine

What would César Chávez think?

by Maitri Pamo

Gracias a la Vida, que me ha dado tanto. My parents made their own Dream Act when they emigrated here from Guatemala. Through their determination and hard work, they ensured fulfilling lives for their children. Different lives from what my ancestors had. My paternal grandparents were farmers. I know nothing about their lives. But on boiling days like today, I think of them.

I also think of all those who work on the land and how difficult their toil must be with the sun as their constant, abusive partner. In the US, farm workers have a life that typifies the agrarian experience, especially when one does not cultivate one’s own land. A bill affecting American farm workers may soon be law in California.

A long list of problems exists for farmers. From my own experience as a veterinary medical student, having been on both large industrial farms as well as small family farms, I know that accidents are a constant threat. Working with machines and sharp edges can produce acute, traumatic injuries, as well as chronic problems