Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

On Treating Students & Educators 'Like Rats in a Maze' - Bridging Differences - Education Week

On Treating Students & Educators 'Like Rats in a Maze' - Bridging Differences - Education Week

On Treating Students & Educators 'Like Rats in a Maze'

Dear Deborah,

Sometimes critics complain that I write too much about what doesn't work and should focus instead on what does work. Since I am a historian, I don't think I am the right person to tell teachers how to teach or tell principals how to run their schools. I leave that to you, since you spent so many years as both teacher and principal.

I would argue, however, that there is value in warning policymakers when they are imposing harmful ideas on children, schools, and educators. I liken it to standing on the train tracks and yelling "Stop!" when you see that the train is heading right for the precipice at full speed, with every compartment packed with children, teachers, and principals. I freely admit that I was wrong about test-based accountability and choice. I take lots of knocks because I had the audacity to change my mind, that apparently being a rare thing to do in our hyper-polarized political environment. I'd like to believe that everyone has the capacity to re-examine what they think and determine whether the facts support their ideas. If evidence accumulates saying that those ideas don't work or have unintended negative consequences, why in the world would one proceed? Why not stop and listen and