Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, June 25, 2011

My Thoughts on Community at the Special Olympics World Summer Games | Maria Shriver

My Thoughts on Community at the Special Olympics World Summer Games | Maria Shriver

JUNE 25, 2011

GOT ME THINKING

My Thoughts on Community at the Special Olympics World Summer Games

By Maria Shriver

At our Special Olympics Board Meeting this morning, we continued exploring the idea of a Dignity Revolution that is focused on uniting and inspiring people in communities all around the world to move us in a more open, inclusive and tolerant direction.

A related question that got me thinking was posed at the Board Meeting: What community are you a part of?

I answered that St. Monica, my local church, is a community to which I belong. It's the place where I feel welcome and at home. I also belong here in Athens for the Special Olympics World Summer Games. Even though I'm far from home, I know I'm exactly where I should be -- amongst this community of people who are working to build a more accepting and just world. The millions of members of this community are among the most joyful, open, kind, welcoming and tolerant people I've ever met. It's a community where everyone aims for their personal bests so that they can inspire their peers to do the same. This is my kind of community.

I found it interesting that when a small gathering of us later met with His All Holiness, Bartholomew, the Archbishop of Constantinople and New Rome, he spoke eloquently about the blessings that come from being a part of a community. He also remarked about the power of community to promote the "sacredness, uniqueness and dignity of all people." He said we are all independent and unique