Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Mike Klonsky's SmallTalk Blog: 'Make my school a prison' pleads Michigan superintendent

Mike Klonsky's SmallTalk Blog: 'Make my school a prison' pleads Michigan superintendent

'Make my school a prison' pleads Michigan superintendent

The school-to-prison pipeline

Nathan Bootz, Superintendent of Ithaca Public Schools asks Michigan's Tea Party Gov. Snyder to make his school a prison so it can be adequately funded.
The State of Michigan spends annually somewhere between $30,000 and $40,000 per prisoner, yet we are struggling to provide schools with $7,000 per student. I guess we need to treat our students like they are prisoners, with equal funding. Please give my students three meals a day. Please give my children access to free health care. Please provide my school district Internet access and computers. Please put books in my library. Please give my students a weight room so we can be big and strong. We provide all of these things to prisoners because they have constitutional rights. What about the rights of youth, our future?! -- Gratiot County Herald
Bootz' letter to the editor was also picked up by Campaign for America's Future blogger Jeff Bryant, who posts