Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Daily Kos: My American Dream - part 1

Daily Kos: My American Dream - part 1

My American Dream - part 1

is about my students, and all the students in all the schools in all the cities, towns, villages, and rural areas.

It is that they will come to school having eaten - dinner last night, breakfast this morning.

It is that they will have a fixed roof over their heads.

It is that they will have their vision and hearing checked, get the necessary dental care.

It is that their parents will be able to care for them, to have jobs with dignity and decent pay and benefits.

It is that they will be respected and honored: gay, straight, bi- or transgendered; white, black, purple, orange or polka-dot; atheist, devout, of any religion, anti-religion; skinny, fat or in between; tall, medium, or short; born in the US or still hoping to be able to stay.

My American Dream - only part of it. And even for this part, there is more: