Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Eduflack: Thank You, Teachers!

Eduflack: Thank You, Teachers!

Thank You, Teachers!

Today is National Teacher Appreciation Day. If you are on Facebook, you can see a number of people "thanking" their favorite teacher. Even EdSec Arne Duncan has gotten into the act, offering up a national message on YouTube in recognition of the day and of teachers across the country

Maybe it is just me, but I find it incredibly difficult to single out one teacher worthy of thanks. I think of Mr. Wolf, my second grade teacher. Or Mr. Ertmer, who taught me both econ and world history and also got me to DC for the first time through Close Up. Or Ms. Walker (now Mrs. Sowers), my AP English teacher and student government advisor. Or even Dr. Prosser, the first college professor who actually took an interest in me and gave me my only A+ while I was in college.

Those who read Eduflack know that I'm often up on my high horse about the importance of parental/family engagement in the education process. We simply cannot improve student achievement without a stronger