Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tweeting Jo Anderson. « Fred Klonsky's blog

Tweeting Jo Anderson. « Fred Klonsky's blog

Tweeting Jo Anderson.

There was a tweet on the Catalyst-Chicago Twitter site that said, “Anderson: Unions’ survival depends on involvement in #edreform . Otherwise, unions that lose on “bread & butter” issues will be irrelevant.”

I didn’t count. Is that 140 characters?

“Anderson” is Jo Anderson, former Executive Director of the IEA and now a senior adviser to EdSec Arne Duncan.

It’s an oddly constructed tweet. I think I get it, but I don’t want to assume too much.

I consider Jo a friend. We saw and greeted each other just last Sunday at the rededication of Haymarket monument.

But here are some questions that occurred to me when I read the tweet.

Aren’t teacher unions involved in reform already and haven’t


“I worked my whole life…”