Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, April 17, 2011

An unorthodox school reform blueprint - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post

An unorthodox school reform blueprint - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post

An unorthodox school reform blueprint

--

This post was written by Joanne Yatvin, a vet­eran public school educator, author and past president of the National Council of Teachers of English. She is now teaching part-time at Portland State University.

By Joanne Yatvin
Having complained long and loud about the misguided school reform schemes that rule the day, I think it’s time for me to step up and offer my own ideas for making schools work. Be warned that my proposals are not only unorthodox, but also teacher-biased, and cheap. Well, at least cheaper than the test-drenched plans now in place and on the horizon.

My version of school reform is based on two premises: (1) poverty and its accoutrements are the major causes of students’ poor academic