Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Funny Thing Happened At Work Today | Mr. Teachbad's Blog of Teacher Disgruntlement

A Funny Thing Happened At Work Today | Mr. Teachbad's Blog of Teacher Disgruntlement

A Funny Thing Happened At Work Today

I liked my job.

This was highly unlikely because it was the first day after spring break. I have had a pit of bitter anxiety about this day. It had been growing in my stomach, honestly, since before spring break even started. I would think to myself it will be so awesome to be on spring break; no kids. administrators, lesson plans, etc. for 11 days.

But then, before that thought had really had a chance to develop and come into its own; and I had really had a chance to revel in it: Goddamn…it’s going to suck to come back. Everybody will be crazy. The dicks will be bigger dicks. The lazy will be more lazy. The absent will simply disappear. It’s just so bad to be there that the longer I am away the more painful will be the reentry. I feel like a space shuttle with obviously damaged heat tiles. I can’t bear it….

I walk into the school this morning…slowly. And immediately it became biblical. I walked into the building, knowing there was a meeting somewhere I should be at in about 10 minutes. So I run into a friend at about 7:52. Asking about the meeting I say, “So, what’s going on?”

“Crying, wailing, and gnashing of teeth,” says he.

I already knew that. But where is