Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Equity and Excellence, Part Two « InterACT

Equity and Excellence, Part Two « InterACT

Equity and Excellence, Part Two

San José City Hall

San Jose City Hall. (Photo: Paul Robert Lloyd)

The following post is the continuation of my prepared remarks for the U.S. Department of Education’s Commission on Equity and Excellence, which convened in San Jose, California, April 21, 2011. As in my prior post, I’m publishing a prior draft of my comments, since the version I actually delivered for the Commission had been edited down to fit time constraints. My colleague, Martha Infante, addressed the Commissioners and the larger Town Hall audience later that evening.

Near the beginning of my remarks, I laid out four elements that allow learners to thrive – whether the learning is happening in a classroom, home, church, gymnasium, or anywhere else I’ve observed. Those elements areexpectations, relationships, access and support. This post covers the latter two elements.

The next essential element in a thriving learning environment is access. By access I mean ensuring that