Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Accountable for What? « Failing Schools

Accountable for What? « Failing Schools

Accountable for What?

APRIL 7, 2011
by Sabrina

Recently, I had a chance to catch up with a former colleague of mine after school, in her classroom. As often happens when teachers chat, we tried valiantly not to talk about school, but gave up after about five minutes.

“I just saw that movie, Waiting for ‘Superman’. I’d been so excited about it, thinking that it was such a great opportunity for education to finally going to get the attention it deserves. I left with a stomachache.”

(I’m sure you can picture me nodding in agreement.)

She continued, “It was just so clueless.” I followed her eyes around her classroom, as she glanced over the different areas of her classroom– visually tallying her to-do list, as I often do. “I mean